The main thematic focuses of our research in the Swiss Alps are regional development in general and sustainable development in mountain areas in particular. These emphases build on both long-standing research in the region itself and on international experiences. As a “northern case” within a globally active research institute – CDE – we support mutual learning and exchange between southern and northern researchers, bring together researchers and practitioners, and apply methods and approaches developed in the North and the South.
The current focuses of Swiss Alpine Research are:
- Protected areas and regional development
- Participation and mutual learning
- Management and monitoring of World Heritage Sites
- Common properties, alpine pasture use, and institutional change
- Governance of natural resources under changing conditions
- Database and Geographic Information Systems (GIS)
We are contributing to several research projects and to teaching and education within the Institute of Geography
of the University of Bern.
University of Bern | Centre for Development and Environment (CDE) | Hallerstrasse 10 | CH-3012 Bern | Tel: +41 31 631 88