Quality Assurance and Development
CDE promotes Quality Assurance and Development (QAD) systematically and in a variety of ways. We do so with the aim of performing our tasks better and more effectively. All of CDE’s areas of activity (research, teaching, services) are integrated in our QAD process. We strive to safeguard and continually improve our quality.
Management receives targeted support in this regard from an internal quality coach, or Q-Coach, as well as staff at different levels. QAD is regularly discussed and evaluated by CDE’s internal committees. The most important management processes and related activities are documented in writing, regularly reviewed and adapted, and made available to staff via the CDE Intranet.
Further information on QAD at CDE
CDE’s Quality Assurance and Development (QAD) follows guidelines established by the University of Bern. CDE holds a performance mandate and a strategy. The performance mandate is set for four years at a time. Its implementation is evaluated towards the end of each period of validity. On this basis, new goals and tasks are developed for implementation and subjected to periodic review:
- Research: Systematic documentation of all publications in the University of Bern database (BORIS). Used in benchmarking CDE.
- Courses of studies in sustainable development: Periodic evaluation of all courses associated with the Bachelor Minor in Sustainable Development and the Master Minor in Sustainable Development (every two years).
- Certificate of Advanced Studies on Sustainable Development (CAS Sustainable Development): Periodic evaluation of individual modules and evaluation of the course of studies (internally after two years, and externally after 6–10 years).
- Internal procedures: CDE has designated special contact persons and courses of action for particular processes. These processes are periodically reviewed and improved. They include:
- Evaluation and fulfilment of the university performance mandate
- Monitoring of CDE strategy, self-evaluation of CDE
- Annual planning and monitoring of planning implementation
- Publication strategy
- Knowledge management and internal communication
- Project management
- Human Resources
- Instruments for gender mainstreaming, career planning, and training
- Staff representation