The Cluster of Cooperation (CLOC) Eastern Africa is a network of researchers and institutions that aims to foster North–South partnerships for research and education. It works to strengthen the capacities needed to achieve the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) of the United Nations 2030 Agenda and Africa’s strategic framework, Agenda 2063, by providing an adequate platform to promote knowledge generation, information exchange, and opportunities for academic collaboration between Swiss universities and key actors in Eastern Africa.
Breaking down academic silos and sectoral thinking
The network enables transformative research and education by breaking down academic silos and sectoral thinking, and it supports transdisciplinary approaches. It includes partners who play an active role in discussing, formulating, and implementing the most innovative sustainable development strategies and policies in the region.
Thematically, the CLOC Eastern Africa focuses on the following areas and their interlinkages:
- Land and water management and governance
- Food security and nutrition
- Climate change mitigation and adaptation
- Health issues and the one health approach
- Migration (rural–urban, internal, and outmigration)
Linking Swiss and African higher education institutions
It launched its activities in 2021. It is part of the swissuniversities Development and Cooperation Network (SUDAC). Its goals are:
- To establish strong inter- and transdisciplinary research partnerships that generate policy-relevant research results on SDG-related key topics for the region and help guide decision-making processes.
- To build capacities of researchers through a training and teaching programme that fosters transformative research and strengthens national-level collaboration between scientists, policymakers, and civil society.
Networking and knowledge exchange
The CLOC is establishing a vibrant knowledge exchange platform linking scientists, policymakers, and civil society. Research and education priorities are developed in a transdisciplinary way, and strategic foresight is used to prepare for emerging debates.
The network is fostering partnerships through a mobility programme among partners in Eastern Africa and Swiss higher education institutions.
Training and teaching events related to Sustainable Development
The CLOC coordinates and organizes training and teaching events on sustainable development and transformative research.